Fastest way to lose weight if you are over 40
If you’re a woman over 40, then you may have realized that you’re just not about to eat like you used to anymore. Foods that you once could eat with no problem just a few years ago are suddenly starting to stick to you, causing you to pack on the pounds, especially around your mid-section. Furthermore, it’s also getting harder to drop those extra five (or ten) pounds than ever before. Even exercises and weight loss strategies that you once was able to use for toning back up quickly or for dusting a few pounds off don’t work the way they use to.
Once you’re over 40, your metabolism slows down and you may be burning up to 300 calories less a day than you were just a few years ago; that really adds up. It’s really no wonder women sometimes hit a weight gain ramp followed by the weight loss wall. If you’re over 40, a woman, and looking for ways to lose fat and keep it off, we’ve got some ideas for you to try. It would help to put you in better shape for a relationship with the opposite sex.
Get Enough Sleep
First, make sure you are getting enough sleep. Although this one may surprise, it’s important for you to get an appropriate amount. Sleeping is a natural way of allowing your brain to release human growth hormones (hGH) which aid in maintaining healthy weight. If you’re skimping on sleep in order to get things done, you’re losing out on stimulating the production of hGH. You’re already producing less because of your age and if you aren’t getting enough sleep, you’re losing even more. Be sure to make sleep a priority!
Yoga and Changing Things Up
As we get older, our bodies change, and so we need to add in something to help keep us mobile. Yoga is an excellent combatant against the aging process and has been proven to be very beneficial. It reduces stress, increases flexibility, helps to strengthen core muscles and get rid of some of that pesky belly fat, improves circulation, (which can also take a turn downhill as we get older) and it can also improve the quality of sleep, which we’ve already said is important. Give it a try! You might love it; we do!
In addition, it’s also good to change up your exercise as well. Your body can get used to the same activity and begin not responding to it anymore. You can try a new exercise or activity or simply increase the speed and duration of your normal workout. Small changes can actually cause big results. There are simple activities you can add throughout your day, as well, such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
Changing Your Eating Habits
Obviously, you’re not going to be able to eat like you used to, but that doesn’t mean you can still eat what you like. There are little mind games you can use to trick your mind (and stomach) into thinking you’ve eaten more than you have. Getting fuller faster will contribute to your eating less and losing weight. Here’s a few of those tricks:
• Drink a whole glass of water before and/or during your meal. Some recommend drinking a glass before and one during.
• Place food on a slightly smaller plate than what you’re used to. This may sound weird, but your mind still sees a full plate. It fools your mind into thinking you’re still eating as much as before; it works!
• Portion control is important as well. Your plate should be divided into fourths: one fourth protein, one fourth starch, and two fourths (one half) vegetables or fruits.
• Take small bites and chew thoroughly; set your utensil down in between bites (or sandwich if hand-held food.)
• Take a drink of water after each bite.
• Stop eating as soon as you feel full.
• Do not go back for seconds.
• Limit sweets, but don’t cut them out. Cutting out favorite foods just leads to cheating. Just don’t over do it. Some prefer to have a ”cheat day”, while others prefer 100 calorie packs. Find what works best for you and stick with it.
Once you make these simple rules a habit, it will feel like second-nature. Your stomach will shrink and you won’t be able to eat how you used to. Make sure to get plenty of sleep, continue getting exercise, add in some yoga if you haven’t already, and try these tricks for eating less. Although this may not be the fastest way to lose weight, it’s the best and most effective way, and will be more likely to keep for you to keep it off.